As a Benefit Corporation, we’re driven to create general public benefit—societal and environmental. This starts with an inward focus on our people.
CHALLENGE: According to various sources, women account for less than one-third of the total employed in STEM industries. Some staggering statistics from our friends at the Society of Women Engineering (SWE):
- Over 32% of women switch out of STEM degree programs in college.
- Only 30% of women who earn bachelor’s degrees in engineering are still working in engineering 20 years later.
- 30% of women who have left the engineering profession cite organizational climate as the reason.
What are we doing at Mazzetti to help improve these stats and the overall experience for women?
The following are our 2019 key focus areas:
- Partnerships/Outreach with other women-focused groups
- Education and Awareness (INTERNAL)
- Women in Leadership Mentoring
- Implicit Bias Assessments
- Anonymous Exit Surveys (INTERNAL)
- Women’s Advocate per Office (INTERNAL)
We’ll continue to update our progress on our goals and our stats. (Check out how we started the year.) And, we welcome your input! What is your firm doing to promote a women-friendly, inclusive environment, including leadership opportunities. Let’s learn from each other. Contact Angelica Chow to share your ideas.